Thoughts on being an Army wife and working mom...

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Fort Casper

The view that greeted me coming down the stairs
Remember those days when you were a kid making forts out of blankets, chairs, sheets, and whatever else you could find?  I remember making a lot of those in our basement with my brother when I was a kid.  I always loved hiding in them with books or a notebook so I could read or write in my own private place.

Today I've been nagging the kids to go outside and enjoy the nice weather.  It's 85 and beautiful! When I yelled downstairs earlier for them to "Get outside and play!" the reply that came back was "No!  We're not done with our fort!"  My first inclination was to be irritated that they told me no, so I gave them a ten minute time limit to finish and get their butts outside to play.  Well, an hour later, they were still not outside.  I ventured downstairs to see what the damage was, and was greeted by a wall of sheets.  I sneaked down with my camera and shot this picture of them in the darkness; all curled up in sleeping bags while playing video games together.
Dark, cozy kid cave
TV and game system included in cave

Now, while I'd prefer that they get outside and play, you have to admit that they are at least doing kid type things that require creativity and cooperation.  Although, as for the cooperation part, I suspect Anna was the project manager and builder all in one while Seth sat by and watched.

I  often feel guilty about letting my kids stay inside to watch TV and play video games.  I mean, when I was a kid, the TV was turned off most of the day (there wasn't anything on anyway), we didn't have game systems, and we survived just fine.

Now, as you can see from the picture, our basement is wired for sound complete with cable, Xbox 360 and unlimited movies through Netflix.  Wow, to be a kid nowadays!  I suppose a little harmless fort building and TV watching on a Saturday afternoon can't hurt the kids any, and at least they're not arguing, which is really saying something.  I guess I'll relent and let them stay in today.  Tomorrow, however, will be a different story...maybe.

No comments: