Thoughts on being an Army wife and working mom...

Thursday, July 07, 2011

Welcome to Kansas!...or not


Awhile back I wrote about how we might be moving to Kansas this summer. Well, it looks like plans have changed (surprise, surprise!). You just never know what the Army will do, and that’s why I try not to get too attached when they tell us we’re moving. As it turns out, the Army is out of money to move anyone until October. It is being suggested that we will now move in January, which is of course the perfect time to move in the Rockies! Why January? It’s because that is Steve’s four year anniversary in Durango and recruiters aren’t allowed to stay in a brigade longer than four years. It should be very entertaining to see how the movers load all the stuff from our house into their truck with six feet of snow on the ground and no way to get down our driveway. While this move does seem a little more certain, I’m still not making any bets. Where we will move to is a whole other story. It won’t be Kansas, because that’s the same brigade we are in now. We’ve been offered Raleigh, Nashville, Great Falls, and possibly Seattle. The Carolina coast would be a nice move, so we’re leaning towards that, but one never knows…

I always think it’s funny to talk to people about our situation. First, when I told them we might move to Kansas, the unanimous reply was “Oh…how do you feel about that?” Now when I tell them we won’t be moving until January and we’re not sure where, the unanimous reply is “Oh…how do you feel about that?” So, my stock answer has become “It is what it is!” As an Army wife, you learn to roll with the punches and become like Switzerland…neutral! It doesn’t do any good to assign positive or negative value to new places, experiences or people until you’ve had the opportunity to really get to know them. I try to keep an open mind about anything the Army sends our way. That doesn’t mean that after a sufficient amount of time I don’t form my own opinions (sometimes negative) about these new experiences. There may be a barcode implanted in my neck by the government, but I am still human.

And yes, the kids are fine with it too! That is always the second question I get asked. They are happy to spend another six months with their friends, but a new house within driving distance of a beach doesn’t sound too bad either. They may be brainwashed little Army brats, but they are still kids.








Giving up the splendor of the prairies for the beach?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would imagine that you must feel like a leaf in a stream and fighting against the current doesn't do you much good. Still, your attitude is very healthy and that must help your kids adapt to changes better than most.

P.S. - I'm selfishly pulling for Seattle!

Heidi said...

Yes, you are right. Although I do fight the current more than I should. Right now I'm just floating along bumping into a lot of rocks, but trying to enjoy the ride :) Who knows, Seattle could be in our future!