Thoughts on being an Army wife and working mom...

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The difficulties of being a writer mom

In an attempt to compose my next post for the TESOL blog that I'm guesting on right now, my daughter thought it fun to read over my shoulder and offer commentary. Finally, she booted me off the computer to type her thoughts (in the form of my own words). I found this just funny enough to share here:

"In my last post, I brought up the question of ELL funding. Senator Bennet’s comments not only spurred my thinking for that post, but it has brought another question to mind as well. That is the question of the makeup of our ELL population and how best to serve them. Over the last several years of teaching ELL students, I’ve often struggled with the definition of what makes an English language learner. Obviously we can qualify those first generation students who have just arrived to our country as ELLs. However, what about those students who are second or even third generation language learners? My daughter thinks that this is a complete waste of time. She thinks I have no life, which I probably don’t. Maybe I should just listen to her and learn the language of kids her age. Then I won’t act and look as old. I might actually have a shot at a life and have more than 100 friends on facebook. Overall, this is a really pointless and boring essay. Only losers with no life would ever read something like this. I speak the truth."

The italics is, of course, her words. It's hard enough actually writing without a 13 year old butting in. Now that I've finally gotten her to go to bed I've lost my momentum on ELL issues. Guess I'll have to try finishing that post tomorrow...before she gets up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny! I thought it might get better the older they get - no baby slapping my keyboard or slamming my laptop shut. I never thought about editorializing.