Thoughts on being an Army wife and working mom...

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Yesterday Anna and I got to spend some "girl time" together at the salon. We had a great time! She asked me on the way to the salon if she could get a blonde stripe in her bangs - hmmm. I wasn't so sure about that at first. Mostly because my mom never let me color my hair, and as a parent, you tend to fall back on how you were raised. But, I've also learned to choose your battles, and hair color is not one I choose to fight. Besides, it was just one little stripe of color - not like she wanted to dye her whole head pink (which her dad would NOT have allowed anyway). I did warn my husband when we got home that the stylist let her in on a tip: If she puts a packet of kool-aid (whatever color she wants) on the blond streak in the shower, she will have instant color for a day or two. While I don't think Steve is thrilled about the idea of her sporting a purple stripe in her hair, I think it is harmless. Anna had fun taking lots of pics with the camera at the salon. We both have before and after pictures, although she didn't make my after picture very attractive! She, however, looks really cute (or cool I should say). Of course the first thing she had to do when she got home was upload her new cool do to her Facebook page. Who got her into Facebook?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that your blog is back up! Anna is such a beautiful young lady - it seems just like yesterday when she was a baby. Please, please don't tell me how quickly it goes by!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I love the blonde in her hair!

Heidi said...

Update to post: My mom tells me that she never told me I couldn't have color in my hair - she says I never asked! Somehow I distinctly remember being told that coloring my hair would ruin it. This prevented me from coloring my hair for years! My mom also tells me that she doesn't remember me getting into hair and makeup until I was a junior in high school. That is hard to believe. I remember being concerned about my hair when I was in middle school and had the 'fro that needed a curling brush for the bangs! Anyway, I guess this is a lesson on how memories fade with time, or maybe how youth brings a different perspective to what was really happening. Thanks for the clarification, Mom!!